The PHIL RITSON-MEL SOLE GOLF SCHOOL at Pawleys Plantation in Pawleys Island SC is one of only 6 academies in the nation to remain on GOLF Magazine's 'Top 25 USA Golf Schools' list since the list debuted in 1999. GOLF Magazine's current ranking says “Ritson-Sole has done it longer and better than any school. ” The academy was launched in 1989 in Myrtle Beach SC by South African PGA Tour veteran Mel Sole, a Golf Digest & GOLF Magazine Top Teacher, and Phil Ritson, former guru to PGA stars such as Gary Player, David Frost and K.J. Choi.The year-round Ritson-Sole Golf School features 1 to 3 day schools, alumni programs, group clinics, private hourly lessons and Parent/Child programs. Director of Instruction Mel Sole and his PGA
Teachers are well known for their simple & effective teaching approaches & drills that achieve success for all skill levels of golfers.
Facilities at the Ritson-Sole learning center include a private driving range for long game work, 2 putting greens for school-only guests, a bunker, and chipping & putting areas. Also on-site is an airconditioned building featuring 4 classrooms for video analysis, and instructional programs on the mental side of golf. Other features include a Zelocity Launch Monitor, Tac-Tic training aids, and 2 covered hitting areas. Pawleys Plantation's Jack Nicklaus signature course provides a scenic and challenging layout for school students.
The student roster has ranged widely from local children just taking up golf to PGA golfers, Professional Athletes in other sports, the late Jim Valvano, ESPN announcers, etc.
Stay on-site for 3 nights in a fairway villa on the Best Ever Golf School Package, which costs less than
$1000 per person. The package includes 3 breakfasts, 2 rounds of golf, and Ritson-Sole's very popular
3-day school, which runs from 9am to 12:30pm each day.
The Greg Norman Champions Golf Academy’s over-the-top learning center complex, adjacent the Long Bay Club, was completed in April 2008. This world-class 3,500-square-foot building and a 50,000-square-foot practice facility features the following:
- An extensive private driving range that can accommodate up to 35 students at a time.
- 8,000-square-foot short game area that includes chipping, putting and bunker practice sites. The greens are Champions Hybrid Bermuda, giving players tour-like conditions throughout the year.
- 3 private teaching bays that are climate controlled, allowing the player to practice regardless of weather conditions.
- Bays are equipped with the V-1 Digital Coaching System, the latest in swing analysis technology.
- One of the hitting bays is solely dedicated to technology, Taylor Made Golf Club Fitting System, Zelocity launch monitor, Tomi Putting System, and club repair.
We offer virtually every possible instructional technology and every amenity available to help our students reach their highest potential. After years in the conceptual stages, we believe the Greg Norman Champions Golf Academy is the blueprint for training the future of golf!.